Tuesday, November 15, 2016

BFF Fundas


All I can imagine while writing about my friend is, she reading it and laughing at every corny line that I attempt to write in the name of humour. It will get even worse if I try to write something sentimental because that will receive straight off ridicule.

You see, it is almost the duty of a friend to continue where a sibling leaves off. Except that you might be saved from a sibling by their absence in most circumstances but a friend tags along everywhere. So, in the knowledge that no humour or sentiment might work I will write about the "Jug" in my life as the relation stands to be.

So I met my "Jug" while I was still in school but this was not a childhood friendship. I was in the 9th grade and had moved to a new town. She didn't really like me because I was giving off a nerdy vibe and she was well, a regular kid. We didn't really think of speaking with each other till we entered college. It was some random incident that we realised we had so much in common.

I can not think of a better time to be friends with her. As it happened I needed to have some fun and she needed get some seriousness (jk)! For some people, their best of friendships is formed in their childhood. But for an awkward introvert like me, youth was a much better time to form friendships when I was more comfortable in my own skin.

Friendship at that age meant sharing ideas, music, books and crushes (just the stories, not the crush) or going out with more freedom. Sure childhood friendship has its charm, but friendship of youth has the advantage of maturity. It is a more active choice, in childhood you become friends with someone just because they are around. But when you are young, you choose a friend because you have a lot in common. It means less fights and more happiness. And it doesn’t mean it has no silliness, NO SIR! In fact, your college friends can put you in tighter spots than you have ever known. And it means watching Friends re-runs and pointing at each other and nodding at moments that resonate with your life.


Over the years, I have learnt a lot from my friend. And it is not through one single incident but through the myriad little mundane happenings. And also through the general big picture and I know my friend fits in both the frames. Mere bad times don't last, temporary hard feelings don't last, what does is the bond between good friends. Good friends can keep you very rooted without touching the vulnerable parts of your self-esteem.

Really it is hard to quantify or qualify the best of relationships. All I can say is that I am very glad to have my “Jug” in my life! Now I want to see how “Jug” from #DearZindagi scores compared to my Jug!

am writing about Jug in my life for the #DearZindagi activity at BlogAdda

No comments:

Post a Comment